Tuesday, August 28, 2007

I Think I Love My Wife...

This past weekend, my wife and I watched a movie called "I Think I Love My Wife". We won't even talk about all the f-bombs used in the movie. I want to talk about the story of the movie. There is this investment banker (the main character) who is married with two children. He used to live a more exciting life, then got married, had kids...he feels he lives such a boring life. A girl from his past finds him and is constantly putting the moves on him. He is so attracted to her and just can't seem to help himself. He wants that lady so bad...well, he really just wants sex.

Liz and I just shook our head during this movie constantly. I guess Liz and I just have such a strong view on marriage and commitment. We are loyal to one another, value what God says about marriage, and it just would never cross our minds to even think about cheating or adultery. I guess I have my blinders on, because I didn't think or couldn't imagine doing that...yet alone finding out the following statistic.

50% of men and 42% of women will commit adultery...according to the most conservative survey. I just can't comprehend that statistic.

You shall not commit adultery. Exodus 20:14

It is one of the 10 commandments...how can we just ignore what God has told us not to do?

Marriage should be honored by all, and the marriage bed kept pure, for God will judge the adulterer and all the sexually immoral. Hebrews 13:4

How can I protect my marriage?

1. Radically reduce the risk
Keep to a path far from her, do not go near the door of her house, lest you give your best strength to others and your years to one who is cruel, lest strangers feast on your wealth and your toil enrich another man's house. Proverbs 5:8-10

Keep a growing relationship with Christ.

Get accountability.

Never be alone with the opposite sex.

Never talk about your marriage with opposite sex.

Hang around those with strong and faithful marriages.

Get out of inappropriate places.

2. Invest passionately in your marriage.
May your fountain be blessed, and may you rejoice in the wife of your youth. A loving doe, a graceful deer - may her breasts satisfy you always, may you ever be captivated by her love. Why be captivated, my son, by an adulteress? Why embrace the bosom of another man's wife? Proverbs 5:18-20

3. Visualize the destruction.
For the lips of an adulteress drip honey, and her speech is smoother than oil; but in the end she is bitter as gall, sharp as a double-edged sword. Her feet go down to death; her steps lead straight to the grave... Proverbs 5:3-5

In the movie, he never slept with the girl. One time he was in her apartment and going to give into temptation. As he started to take off his tie, the tie ended up around his head as he looked in the mirror. In the movie, he put his tie around his head while chasing the kids around. He did exactly item #3...He visualized his family time and the kids. He immediately ran home to be with his wife and kids...doing all he can to make his marriage work and never talking to that girl again.

If we reduce the risks, by avoiding those circumstances and focusing on God...if we invest our time and passion into our marriages...and if we visualize the destruction it causes to ourselves, our wife, kids, etc... If we do these things, I don't see how anyone would do those things. I will not be one of the 50%...guaranteed. It just won't happen...I won't allow myself to be in that situation. I won't even go eat lunch alone with another woman...as my wife won't with a man. It is about respecting our marriage and not putting ourselves in that situation. It must be a pretty big topic, if God addresses the issue from every angle and over and over again. I mean, saying you shall not do it in the 10 commandments is clear enough for me...but it goes on to talk about all the circumstances like mentioned above. Plus, if you are still not convinced check out...

Job 24:15, 8
Proverbs 2:16-18
Proverbs 6:25-29, 32-34
Proverbs 7:19-23

By the way, I don't recommend the movie...it wasn't good. That storyline really stuck out to me. The provided ways to protect your marriage are compliments of Craig Groeschel...my pastor at LifeChurch.

As for me...there is no thinking required. I KNOW I love my wife!! I love you, Liz!!

No comments: