Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Something To Think About - Just Let Go

At church this past Sunday, I heard a really good illustration that I thought I would pass along. It has really stuck with me ever since I heard the story. Here it is:

The "South Indian Monkey Trap" was developed by villagers to catch the ever-present and numerous small monkeys in that part of the world. It involves a hollowed-out coconut chained to a stake. The coconut has some rice inside which can be seen through a small hole. The hole is just big enough so that the monkey can put his hand in, but too small for his fist to come out after he has grabbed the rice.
Tempted by the rice, the monkey reaches in and is suddenly trapped. He is not able to see that it is his own fist that traps him, his own desire for the rice. He rigidly holds on to the rice, because he values it. He cannot let go and by doing so retain his freedom. So the trap works and the villagers capture him.

That really sticks out in my mind...what are we holding onto in our lives? We can free ourselves, if we were just willing to let go of "what we think we really need".

5 comments:

HomeSchool Mommy said...

YES! I LOVE that! Although I miss Craig when he doesn't preach, I really enjoyed Chris, too.

I will always think of that analogy now.

Okie Food Traveler said...

I really miss Craig! Although Chris did a good job, I still want Craig to preach every week. I will always think of that analogy, too. One thing is for sure, every single week is a great experience...I know that I always walk away with something good to take away from the message.

ann said...

It was a great lesson on Sunday. I haven't been disappointed with any lesson I've heard at LifeChurch! I feel like I am growing in my faith and in my service to God. I'm thankful that you and Elizabeth invited me to go with you. I love you, Mom

Annie said...

That is a great analogy... we do just need to let go!

Another analogy (I may get it a little wrong because I heard it so long ago)...but it is one that has stuck in my mind for about three years.

If you put grasshoppers in a jar with a lid on it. They will jump and hit the lid then begin to jump only high enough to avoid hitting the lid. Then when the lid is removed they will not jump out of the jar. We need to realize there is no lid, God's power has no limits and we can go as high as we can believe.

Anyway, I didn't do that justice, but it is in my 'head' the right way :o)

Dena said...

That's AWESOME!!! I am such a monkey!