Thursday, July 05, 2007

Honor God With Your Body!

Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit… Therefore honor God with your body. 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

I just started watching a series called Life Development Plan. I skipped ahead to week 5 because of the title "Physical Life". My wife and I have talked about this quite a bit lately. We have recently given up soda in our house already, but there is so much more to it. Think about this:

8 out of 10 people over 25 are overweight.
More than 60% of Americans are overweight or obese.
The number of overweight Americans has doubled since 1980.
The number of overweight adolescents has tripled.
Obesity is 2nd only to smoking as the top preventable cause of death.
If things continue as is, obesity will overtake smoking as number one.
78% of Americans are not meeting basic level activity recommendations.

EVERY BODY ENDS UP SOMEWHERE.
FEW BODIES END UP SOMEWHERE ON PURPOSE.


It isn't just about making healthier eating habits and drinking water either (though think about this, if you order water instead of soda everytime you eat out and instead invest that money...you will be able to put 2 kids through college. WOW!). Three things that we should do:

1. REGULAR CHECKUPS.
Jesus said to them, ‘It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick…’ Mark 2:17

2. CONSISTENT EXERCISE.
For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come. 1 Timothy 4:8

3. DEFEAT ADDICTIONS.
Everything is permissible for me-but not everything is beneficial… I will not be mastered by anything. 1 Corinthians 6:12

I never go to the doctor...never. I am going to make it a priority to go have a physical and checkup once a year. Addictions? It could be smoking, beer/liquor, dipping, overeating, caffeine, etc...but we can overcome ANYTHING.

My wife and I talk about it a lot like I said earlier...we say, "we don't want to be the fat family." See there is a difference between talking and doing...and I know there is a problem, now it is time for me to make some changes because my body is the temple of God and I want honor God with my body. Check out this video...




No comments: